Friday, 11 May 2012

Photographing a Bear

I´m experimenting with the photos of my bears

This is all a consequence
of a recent discussion in one of the forums
I belong too - whether to use a plain white
background or using props in your photos



diverted from the fact that Etsy require
plain white background to have a chance of
being chosen for the frontpage.

What works the best for the items and shouldn´t it be
up to the artist to set the scene




it turned out most wanted to use props
in the photos and liked those photos with a sat
feeling and atmosphere.

I´ve always used plain white backgrounds for my photos
or as white as possible, as those white ones offen turns out
blueish or greyish.


so I thought I would give it a try
and see what happened.

Personally I like the photos with the white backgrounds the best.
That works best for my imagination
if I was to buy the item and let me think how it
would look in my home.


I would be afraid, that MY setting of the mood
and atmosphere would turn people away
if they didn´t like it


this is where you, my sweet readers come in.

What do you think?
if you were the buyer - what attracts you?
would you be drawn to the photos with a set mood
or do you prefer plain background?
Does it help your imagination if the scene is sat?

I would love to hear your thoughts about this


This last little one is Ness
She´s available over at Ebay
until Sunday
Here´s the link if you would like to have a look

Wishing you all a wonderful friday

Tina ♥♥♥


11 comments:

Lisa said...

this probably isn't going to be the answer you are looking for...but I adore both ways and for different reasons. The close up really shows product display...the detail and craftsmanship that you've put into your bears whilst the set with props appeals to the emotional side and shows how one might display such a little love...and for those of use who love old wood and lace... well it's just too dear! I think you should use both in your listings.. you can always rotate them using one as your feature and then switching to the other to measure response. I'm sure the white background for etsy is so the product can be easily seen with in a group of photos...more for them than for individual sellers.
Nonetheless... your bears are perfectly adorable and truly a labor love however you photograph them!

Karen B. said...

Dear sweet Tina,
I have just looked at your photos and I understand what you mean. I perfer just to see your bear on a white background eventhough I love the pictures with props too but I think your bears are so beautiful thats all I want to see in a photograph. Could you maybe use both types? Your 'cover' picture would be the white background and a few others could be with props to show how the bear would look 'at home'. (I hope I am not talking gibberish now) But said that ...no matter how you photograph your bears ~ they are absolutly amazing and a beautiful piece of art!!
sending you hugs and love
Karen B. ~ Todolwen

Cheryl @ Bingle Bears said...

I've always liked how you present your bears, Tina. Personally, I like plain backgrounds. I'm like you, I don't want to get people distracted by what I choose to add to the photo. They may love what I put in or they may hate it. So, personally, I prefer the white background.

Warmly,
Cheryl

Zuzu said...

Hi Tina,
I prefer the plain background for 3 reasons:
1) I find it more artistic
2) it draws me in to focus just on the item you are selling
3) and because it helps me to imagine one of your sweet little bears sitting on a shelf right here in my tiny cottage. :)
Have a wonderful weekend!
Hugs,
Zuzu

Joanne@ Desertmountainbear said...

For myself I prefer plain backgrounds. I think your little bears look best photographed that way too.

Елена Комарова said...

Я голосую за белый фон. Белый фон честный. Дополнительные объекты отвлекают. Но медведь иногда просит аксессуары. Тогда я с ним согласна и помещаю его в минимальный интерьер.
Чаще фотографирую на белом фоне.

Lynda (Granny K) said...

The plain background with close-up shows the bear nicely, but does not show the size of the bear as well as being shown with props or in a 'setting', so I would say 'both ways' is good.

suziqu's thread works said...

Tina I think all of the above comments are very helpful. I like Lisa's idea of alternating the photos to see both the pure craftmanship and also how the characteristics are seen with props.
Often people buy a bear but don't really know how to display it at it's best.
Your bears are truly adorable and created so beautifully.
Thanks dear friend for visiting and leaving such a lovely comment.
Happy Mother's Day to you too!
Sweet hugs,
Suzy

Claudia said...

I like the plain white background, Tina. I think it makes the item for sale pop. If there are props in the photo, they seem to take away from the item itself?

xo
Claudia

Wendy Chamberlain said...

Hi Tina
Must admit that I prefer a plain background and white seems to work for most colours of bears. Too many props can detract from the bear. Colour can be a problem with digital photography and the background does seem to 'grey' at times. I am no expert but find that certain colours change depending on the lighting and time of the day. Try to photograph my bears when the light is brightest in the middle of the day but this is not infallible. Just how the colour of the fabric affects the background, shows in the difference between your blue and peach bears.

Tarnished Rose said...

I prefer the props. To me, it sets a stage and doesn't just thrust your bears into one's face as the plain background does.

Smiles~
Marilyn