Tuesday, 19 April 2011

The Spines Project

Did you wonder what I was going to do
with those book spines...

I use the front and back cover of old books
for backgrounds on my collages.
They are perfect for that.
That leaves me with the spines
and I do find them too pretty to just go in the bin


and what would be more appropriate
to use them for other that

pretty bookmarks....


Here´s a bunch of finished bookmarks.
I love how they turned out.


a closeup of the decoration on them.
I used some of my good stuff.
Pretty lace pieces



cheesecloth, silk
and some sweet vintage images printed
on fabric.


isn´t it nice to have something pretty to look
at when you open your book to read



I was so lucky to get my hands on some
very pretty bookcovers, and more have just
arrived in the studio.
Love the colors on these old worn books
and I´m definitely going to have several of these in my books.

Some will be listed in the shop too.

******

I´m busy housekeeping today
getting ready for family visits during Easter.
I´m so looking forward to see them all.

Wishing you all a beautiful day

Tina ♥♥♥

16 comments:

Vicki said...

Beautiful, Tina. The last one is my favorite. I hope you have a blessed Easter. Drop by for my favorite giveaway yet this week!

Lori Katies Rose Cottage said...

Tina ~
Those are so pretty!! I totally would have never thought of using them for book marks ~
Have a wonderful Easter!!

xoxo
Lori

Wendy said...

Wonderful idea. I love old books too. I will keep this idea for when I have some extra spines. Thanks for sharing.

A Bee In My Bonnet - Leslie Anne said...

What a brilliant idea; these are so lovely! Have to go back now and look at them again, but wanted to tell you first just how adorable this idea is! Thank you for sharing! Leslie Anne

Joanne@ Desertmountainbear said...

They are beautiful.

A Vintage Chic said...

What an amazingly creative & fabulous idea, Tina! I really love these--what could be more appropriate for a bookmark?!

Hope you have the most wonderful day, my friend...

Julie

Jillayne said...

They are beautiful Tina - such a lovely idea! (I bet we see them in a magazine too some day soon too huh?)
Once again your work is perfect, and so inspiring!

Marie Lost Bird Studio said...

Hi Tina,
these are so beautiful and a brilliant idea!TFS.
Have a wonderful Easter.
Hugs,
Marie

Evi said...

these bookmarks are beautiful and so appropriate. I think you really have the neatest ideas!
I had to laugh about the one that says "As the earth turns". There is a "soap-opera here on tv that is called "As the world turns".....
Wishing you a happy Easter,
hugs, Evi

FarfallaDK said...

Det er virkelig en god måde at bruge bogryggene på.
Og hvilke bedårende kreationer, du har lavet!
Jeg kan rigtig godt lide alle de yndige blonder.

Rigtig god påske.
Hilsner fra FarfallaDK

Diane said...

How cool, Tina! I agree, I wouldn't be able to throw them out either. Before I scrolled down further, I thought you were going to say you would make a fan out of them because of the way some looked like they were cut at an angle. I see now that it was just paper covering part of them.
Bookmarks from book spines! Perfect!

Lululiz said...

Book spines are perfect for making bookmarks and yours turned out beautifully.

QueenBe said...

What a great idea..... I've wondered what to do with book spines, too, after I tear apart the cover for a collage. Great idea! Happy Easter~~

Marianne@Songbird said...

What a wonderful idea! And really frugal and crafty too, nothing goes to waste in your studio!

Abby's Paperie Garden said...

Some of the prettiest bookmarks I've ever seen! Your creativity is inspiring:)

Abby

Southern Lady's Vintage said...

These are wonderful Tina!! Love them!